RE: Bath-profile: relation to national profiles.................. .... ...... J.nr. 331-3

Leif

Thank you for your comments, I hope you will be able to attend the upcoming
Bath Meeting on October 3rd. The proposals submitted by Juha Hakala on
behalf of CENL are on the agenda for discussion and cover some of the same
points you raise.

One point of clarification, the Bath Profile does currently define 2
searches using structure attribute 101 with use 1003 - 5.A.0.1 Author
Search-Precision Match for Established Name Heading and 5.A.1.1 Author
Search Precision Match for Established Name Heading with Right Truncation.
You are correct that we do not specify the 101 structure attribute for SCAN.
There is a proposal from the NISO Committee SC to remove the requirement for
the use of structure attribute 101 from the profile and replace it with a
left anchored phrase search. I hope that you and your European colleagues
will be at the meeting to support the use of 101 so an appropriate decision
can be made to reflect the needs of international interoperability.

The searches for First words in field were added to the profile because of
user needs which we discovered in our virtual union catalogue project. One
very strongly expressed weakness with current implementations of Z at the
time (from the end user perspective) was the inability to carry out a very
narrowly defined title search when the searcher knew the title and it
consisted of one or two words. The common example we use in Canada are
various journals with titles like: 'Canadian literature' or 'Agora' etc.
This was based on needs expressed by real users commenting on the weaknesses
with existing systems which were barriers to their using Z39.50 for
searching.

Carrol Lunau
Bath Profile Maintenance Agency
National Library of Canada