Re: "Z39.50 Server List" DTD

From: Rob Bull <bull@crxnet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:35:42 +0000 (GMT)
To: Kevin Gamiel <kgamiel@islandedge.com>
cc: www-zig@w3.org
Kevin,

> I agree with every point.  My only concern is the *way* in which you
> deliver the xml.  Do you have a description of how you do it?  Does the
> client explicitly ask for it?

- so far the work has concentrated on the XML itself - it would be
delivered on the Init response Other info field, as octet-aligned using
an appropriate OID.

> I personally would rather see us finish work like Alan Kent has done on
> concatenating PDUs and using otherwise standard mechanisms instead of
> special-casing things like init.  That means you could implement
> explain-lite by sending a standard init request and search request in a
> single request.  That would give us other benefits we've wanted for some
> time, and still give you the explain information you want in a single
> request/response pair.

we have concentrated on the conventional model of using non-concatonated
PDUs - Our requirements are to have the  information from the init, but
before search, extended services, scan etc.

Rob