Line height vs. line spacing

From: Mat Cauthon <mcauthon1980@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:53:30 +0100
To: <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>
Hello everyone,
I'm currently a bit confused about the notion of line height vs. line spacing as outlined in the XSL-FO specification.
In my personal pre-XSL-fo view of the world, line spacing was defined as simply the height of the small gap between two adjacent lines:

    First line
    [Gap] <---
    First line
    [Gap] <---
    First line

Trying to now map this onto the corresponding concepts from both the CSS and XSL-FO specification, I'm faced with the problem that (by defining an appropriate "line-height" on each of my regions and/or blocks) I seem to get an additional space at the very end of my surrounding block area:

    First line
    First line
    First line

Though this seems consistent with the fact that "line-height" serves to define the height of each line area this block generates, I leaves me with the question of how I can get rid of this additional gap at the end of each of my blocks?!
Any advice is deeply appreciated :-).
Regards,
Chris