From: www-xsl-fo-request@w3.org [mailto:www-xsl-fo-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of John Virgo
Sent: 22 October 2009 09:06
To: www-xsl-fo@w3.org
Subject: Re: conditional page break

I've had the same problem in a long running project (2 years) that I am
still
working.

I call this problem 'layout feedback', or lack of. The problem is there is
no accurate way of determining if 'block A fits' into any area until the FO
has been laid out so your XSL will not be able to make the decision.

I've worked around this in several ways, none of which are pretty:
* Run a template for just block A and check the page count output, to make
the decision of which template to use.
* Manually calculate the size of block A using the font size and known
quantities of the layout directly in the FO.
* As above but with custom pre-parsing code on the input XML passing a
parameter to the XSL template.

I'm sure there were more I tried but nothing worked particularly well, in
the end we hand to settle for allow our QA users to make the decision using
a tick box on the form displaying (and regenerating) the output.

JV