RE: Several sections of 2-column text per page possible?

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:05:29 -0500
To: "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Cc: <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>

I haven't been following this thread closely, and I'm not the
SG's expert in this area, but I believe a careful reading
about span-reference-areas in the XSL spec would imply that a
multicolumn section must be "balanced" (my term) when followed
by a spanned section.  I'm quite sure, however, that the spec
is silent about "balancing" a multicolumn section followed by
a forced page break (e.g., the end of a chapter).

I understand most implementations do not balance prior to a
forced page break.  However, since most of our customers expect
balancing at forced page breaks, Arbortext's implementation
does generally balance in this case, though we have an
extension property to produce unbalanced results.

paul