Re: invisible borders and conditionnal single-column page

At 2003-03-17 17:10 +0100, stephane.peyronny@mpsa.com wrote:
>1. I use tables with spanned cells. When the table is too long, it is cut
>into two pages in the PDF.
>The problem is that the borders of the spanned cells are not drawn. Have
>already encountered this?
>Is there an option to managed tables splitted onto two pages?

Two answers:

(1) If all you want is to turn on the border *at* the edge, without
managing the cell content, then turn off the discarding of the border width
using:

    border-after-width.conditionality="retain"
    border-before-width.conditionality="retain"

(2) If you want to manage the cell content by keeping rows together, use:

    keep-together="always" on the table-row

>2. I use fo:region-body attribut: column-count="2" so I get two columns in
>my document.
>But sometimes, I need to insert a single-column page and I don't know how I
>can change my page configuration.

Two answers (déjà vu!):

(1) You state "change my page configuration" which leads to the discussion
below of page geometry, but I wonder if you only want to switch the count
of columns from 2 to 1 the easiest way is probably to keep the column-count
of 2 but use span="all" on your blocks where you want one column on the page

(2) If you want to solve the problem by changing the page configuration,
thereby necessitating you start a new page for your new column count, read on:

XSL-FO 1.0 does not allow you to change page geometry on the fly in the
middle of the flow.  The count of columns in the body region is an aspect
of the page geometry, just like the reference orientation of the body region.

I mention reference orientation because I've developed a methodology for
triggering changes in page geometry in the middle of the flow, which in the
past has been used for landscape tables (changing the reference
orientation) but would work just as easily as the change in column count.

Check out the PSMI (Page Sequence Master Interleave) free resource from the
"Resource Library" link from our home page linked below.  This is the
description of a semantic and a stylesheet to implement that semantic.  One
writes a XSL-FO+PSMI instance indicating when you want the geometry to
change, and the supplied free stylesheet converts that instance into a pure
XSL-FO instance for rendering.

Using PSMI you will be able to embed arbitrarily into the top level of the
flow of a page sequence the intention to utilize a particular page geometry
(in your case, that page geometry that defines only a single column).

I hope this helps.

................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO
                              North America:      June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO