Re: start-edge border and padding... where'd they go?

Update:

1) I tried adding a compound padding-start property to the
block-container, with .conditionality="retain".  Thought that might
have something to do with it.  This made absolutely zero difference.

2) I tried forcing a "margin=0pt" on the inner block.  Wonder of
wonders, the left edge of the nested block's border (blue) appeared.
That was the only difference, though.

So then, I'm still foundering in a sea of cluelessness.