Re: start-edge border and padding... where'd they go?

At 2003-06-26 17:02 -0700, Mark Lundquist wrote:
>So then, I'm still foundering in a sea of cluelessness.
>
>On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 04:29 PM, Mark Lundquist wrote:
>>All right, I'm trying to learn XSL-FO, and I have this oh-so-very simple
>>test document:

Simple, but written without an awareness of the constraints written for
XSL-FO.  In version 1.0 any out-of-line construct cannot have borders and
padding: regions, floats, footnote bodies, absolutely positioned block
containers.

A common misconception is that a reader will see "Common Border, Padding
and Background Properties" and think borders and padding actually applies
(gee, I wonder why??) ... when the chapter and verse I cited in my last
note overrides most of these properties, leaving only the background
properties that actually apply.

You haven't yet said what effect you want to achieve ... you've only asked
us to comment on what you are trying to code up.  Can you take a step back
and describe what effect you would like to see and someone may be able to
show you the direction in which you will get what results are available?

I hope this helps.

...................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: XSLT/XPath North America: Aug 12, 2003
-                          XSL-FO     North America: Aug  4, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info