Re: XSL Errata document updated

Le Friday 25 October 2002 18:27, Paul Grosso a écrit:
> >Paul,
> >
> >Isn't there an error in the errata ;-) ?
>
> It is true that src="url('TH0317A.jpg')" would probably make
> a better example.  I did not write this example, and I did
> not notice this until you mentioned it.
>
> However, I believe src="'url(TH0317A.jpg)'" should also be
> valid.  The double quotes are just part of being an XML
> attribute, and then the single quotes make the attribute
> value a string.

Where is it said that an <uri-specification> is a <string>? The errata has
but it does not say that for an <uri-specification>.

>  The uri-specification datatype says it's
> a sequence of characters, so a string should be a valid
> value, and the quotes inside the url() part are optional.
>
> >============================
> ><uri-specification>
> >
> >A sequence of characters that is "url(", followed by optional white space,
> >followed by an optional single quote (') or double quote (") character,
> > (...)

If I read correctly, the first three characters are 'u', 'r' and 'l'. No
mention of the single quote at that point.

Honestly said, that whole "property types" thingie is a huge mess. It would
have been much simpler to say from the beginning that there are just a few
datatypes. In fact, there should be a much cleaner distinction between _data
types_ and possible _initialization values_, even with a different notation :

	{angle}
		is a <string> of the format ...

You'll notice that there are some initialization values in the chapter 7 that
are listed among the data types (like {family-name} and {angle}) and others
that are not (like {generic-family} or {shape}), sometimes even in the same
property!

That lack of clear separation makes it really difficult to implement the
difference between what can be transmitted through functions like
from-parent() and what is just a notation for possible initialization values
in the properties list.

Sorry for the harsh words.

--
- Linux produces remarkedly less hot air than Windows: under
Windows, the processor gets hot after just a few minutes...