RE: xsl-fo first anniversary

There could involve quite a choice of tactics, such as stepping down point size, stepping down tracking, switching to a more condensed font within the same family, if there is one, switching to a condensed font outside that family if not, if that's undesirable, artificially compressing the font horizontal scaling (but not something that can be done within XSL-FO - unless you're dealing with a XSL-FO wrapped character based on SVG fonts (which might not be a bad idea in terms of consistency)), or perhaps even trying different justification rules. Depends which sort of thing you're fussier about, and which is 'house style'.
--
Ian Tindale