XSL/XSL-FO Terminology( Was: xsl-fo first anniversary)

From: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:26:12 EDT
To: e.bischoff@noos.fr, www-xsl-fo@w3.org
CC: xsl-fo@yahoogroups.com, liam@w3.org
In a message dated 18/10/2002 11:18:51 GMT Daylight Time, e.bischoff@noos.fr
writes:

> Completly unrelated :
>
> 1 - I am feeling that the specification as http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/ should
> be
> split in two : a definition of XSL as the combination of XSLT and XSL-FO,
> and
> XSL-FO reference. Currently, I find the confusion between XSL and XSL-FO
> very
> puzzling.

Ed,

I suggested similar tidying of nomenclature and so on to the XSL Editors many
months ago but the suggestions were turned down ... on fairly flimsy grounds
I thought. It is surprising, to me at least, how highly intelligent people
can fail to appreciate the difficulties that beginners in a technology
experience from such simple issues.

I hope that the "XSL" i.e. XSL-FO WG can see a way to introducing more
consistency in use of terminology in version 2.0 both at the level of the
nomenclature of the technology and in the use of namespace prefixes.

Andrew Watt