svg from Adobe Illustrator and FOP

From: Kevin Flynn <kevin.flynn@birdstep.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:29:09 +0100
To: "'www-xsl-fo@w3c.org'" <www-xsl-fo@w3c.org>
Does anybody have any experience of including SVG files generated from Adobe
Illustrator in FOP files?

Illustrator has options for embedding fonts in the output SVG, but FOP (or
Batik, I suppose) chokes on this. If I don't embed fonts, but use
Illustrator's "Use system fonts" option, then the text in the output looks
terrible (the positioning is all wrong). An alternative approach that works
is to create SVG font definitions using batik's ttf2svg utility and manually
embed the font definitions into the Illustrator output. This works OK but is
rather labor intensive. Does anybody know a better way? Why won't fop/batik
accept the font definitions embedded by Illustrator?

Best regards
Kevin Flynn
Birdstep Technology www.birdstep.com
Direct: +47 24 13 47 75