Background-image question

From: Kilmer, Erich <Erich.Kilmer@mmt.bellhowell.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:11:28 -0400
To: "'www-xsl-fo@w3.org'" <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>
Hello,
I am interested in getting an update on using background-image in FOP.
I have tried background-image in the latest FOP release 0.20.1 but it
doesn't seem to work. On the FOP Apache websites I have checked the
Limitations and Features pages but do not see anything.
What is the issue with background images? Is it a PDF thing?

In my XSL I tried this:

    <fo:block background-image="file:elipse.gif">
      <xsl:text>IMAGE TEXT</xsl:text>
    </fo:block>

This is what my log said:

Error in background-image property value 'file:elipse.gif':
org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException: illegal character

In my PDF all that comes out is "IMAGE TEXT" but no image.

What am I doing wrong?

Also if anyone can give me an idea of when this functionality would be
available I would appreciate it!
Thanks,
Erich Kilmer
Bell+Howell