Re: page break

From: Arved Sandstrom <asandstrom@accesscable.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 06:48:46 -0300
To: <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>
To: <gkholman@cranesoftwrights.com>
Cc: <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 5:26 AM
Subject: Re: page break

> > Since I am floating something to the "before-float" area, I anticipate
the
> > float to appear before the content surrounding the definition of the
> > float.
>
> I don't think so. My reading of it is that a float marked for such an
> area can be placed in _any_ before-float-reference area (that is,
> loosely, the top of any page).
>
> The main constraints that apply are that floats stay in order of
> the fo:float and that the generated block area is on the same
> or later page.

And the same consideration also applies that essentially applies in LaTeX,
that the before-floats are properly ordered in their class (is this your
first phrase, David?). That is, they form a FIFO queue.

I have to admit that now that this subject came up, I think that there could
probably be a few more mechanisms for promoting a bit more control over
float placement. In addition I searched in vain for a strong statement
concerning placement of floats ASAP; that is, if the float _can_ go on the
page with the anchor, then it must. Right now that is probably implied, but
it's not stated.

Arved