Re: Using an XSL Formatter as an XSL-FO Web Browser

From: Nikolai Grigoriev <grig@renderx.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 03:34:09 +0300
To: <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>
Sebastian,

>  > Boy, do I ever agree about this one. This syntax is shorthand for whose
>  > benefit? The typical user is going to mangle this kind of shorthand at
least
>  > half the time by putting things in the wrong order.
>
> unless I misunderstand, there *is* no order, you just *guess* which bits of
> "10pt Helvetica bold" mean what.

Wrong :-). The synopsis is as follows:

{font-style, font-weight, and/or font-variant} font-size[/line-height]
font-family.

The first three may come in any order; from font-size ahead, the order is fixed.
So yours should be "bold 10pt Helvetica" :-).

(And don't forget that 'font-size-adjust' and 'font-stretch' are also reset to
their initial values - despite the fact they cannot be mentioned inside the
shorthand!)

Cheers,
Nikolai