Re: Renderers and XSL-FO, plus other thoughts...

Note: this was undoubtedly meant for the list, but got sent to me only
because of the Reply-To thing.

Hi, Dave

My meaning of "interchange format" is an implementation-centric meaning.
That is, I do not anticipate that users will ever look at an interchange
format. I think any file format becomes an interchange format if it exhibits
the quality of being an accepted medium of exchange. The situation is
analogous to a language translation problem: given 50 inputs (different
languages) and 50 outputs (other languages), the options are to prepare each
of the 2500 translation dictionaries, or prepare 100 dictionaries - 50 for
translation to English, and 50 for translation from English.

MS Word has become such a format, whether we like it or not.

I am not (repeat not) proselytizing on behalf of FO as an interchange
format, although I am not against it either in the context of formatting.The
reason I think it is a worthwhile subject for debate is because I see
formats suggested as things that should come out of a FO formatter+renderer
combination, that should actually either be inputs, or not be exposed to FO
formatting at all (HTML out of FO? What's the point?)
If FO is to be used at all, let us use it rationally.

I have prepared a diagram which exhibits my Weltanschauung of an ideal
system. It is attached.

Regards,
Arved