Re: extensions to FO

Kelly Campbell writes:
 > recommendation. Basically, I was thinking of something along the lines of
 > the following:
 >
 > <fop:toc label="Introduction">
 >   <fo:block id="sect-intro">
 >    Section 1: Introduction
 >   </fo:block>
 >   <fo:block>
 >     Some text for the section
 >   </fo:block>
 >   <fop:toc label="subsection">
 >     <fo:block>
 >      Section 1.1: subheading
 >     </fo:block>
 >   </fop:toc>
 > </fop:toc>

just a comment: PDF bookmarks are NOT "blocks", so why dress them up as such?
why not separate this out entirely into:

<fop:toc id="sect-intro">
   Section 1: Introduction
   <fop:toc id="subsection"">
     Section 1.1: subheading
  </fop:toc>
</fop:toc>

 > Another use case I can think of off-hand are PDF's structural tags such as
 > heading and paragraph and such which can be tagged in the PDF.  When you're
 > converting a DocBook tagged file into FO, you lose most, if not all, of the
 > semantic information, and have just visual and aural presentation
 > information left.

er, quite, thats a short summary of the whole point of FO!!! indeed, to
many people, its a description of why FO is a BAD THING.

the "role" attribution can be used anywhere to preserve some
structural info, surely?

sebastian