Re: text-align-last

From: Dave Pawson <daveP@dpawson.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 08:00:35 +0100
To: www-xsl-fo@w3.org
Cc: xsl-editors@w3.org
At 13:03 17/08/2001 -0500, Paul Grosso wrote:

>Assuming no relevant properties are being inherited (e.g.,
>text-align="end"), both implementations are correct since
>the input is over-constrained.  You are giving no stretchable
>space, but you are asking the line to stretch.  An implementation
>may either use letter spacing or over-stretch existing space
>or not honor your text-align-last request--any would be allowable.

Further point Paul, what happens to portability between formatters?
Something xslt implementors have striven for. I'd like it to be the same
for XSL, helped by the WG output.

I can imagine the response of users when they come across this type
of problem. Not very positive.

A common sense approach to this problem would be to have the leader
'rubber-space' take precedence over the letter spacing, though that may
not actually be right for a real 'last line' usage.

Regards daveP