Re: text-align-last

At 18:06 2001 08 17 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
> <fo:block text-align-last="justify"><fo:inline>start</fo:inline><fo:inline>center</fo:inline><fo:inline>end</fo:inline></fo:block>
>
>Need, to have a header, with left, center, and right content.
>
>Antenna House and (I think ) passivetex format content
>nicely spaced to meet this need.
>
>xep, which is usually good at spec interpretation, spaces the characters out,
>making it look ugly.
>
>Spec interpretation please? Which is right?

Assuming no relevant properties are being inherited (e.g.,
text-align="end"), both implementations are correct since
the input is over-constrained.  You are giving no stretchable
space, but you are asking the line to stretch.  An implementation
may either use letter spacing or over-stretch existing space
or not honor your text-align-last request--any would be allowable.

Try putting leaders in between, something like the following
(line breaks added in the example for readability, but they
shouldn't really be in there):

<fo:block text-align-last="justify">
<fo:inline>start</fo:inline>
<fo:leader>
<fo:inline>center</fo:inline>
<fo:leader>
<fo:inline>end</fo:inline>
</fo:block>

Note, the initial value for leader-pattern is space and the
initial values for leader-length are leader-length.minimum=0pt,
.optimum=12.0pt, .maximum=100% which gives you want you want.

Also note that this should put equal space in for each leader.
This won't necessarily center your middle part, especially if
the length of the left and right parts differ by much.  You'd
have to get fancier to accomplish that.

paul