Re: XPath 1.0 change proposal

On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 15:37 +0800, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> [...]

> A lot of
> implementations, tools and software is based in XPath 1.0 (including
> my own code and a lot of software using it) and marking it as deprecated
> or withdrawn will let that code base without a reference.

There are no plans at this time to mark XPath 1 as deprecated, nor to
withdraw it.

It's my intent to open up the discussion of the future of XPath 1 and
XSLT 1 overall.  I dont want to see that happen until the primary
technical work of XSLT 3 is done, but I do want to see it happen before
Xpath 3.1 is made final, so probably next year.  But even then there's
no point in talking about deprecating or withdrawing a widely-used
specification.

XPath 1.0 was, is, and remains, a success.

Liam

--
Liam Quin
XML Activity Lead, W3C,