Re: XPath 1.0 change proposal

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 09:26:46AM -0600, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
[...]
> Perhaps I am wrong to say neither of us will change the other's mind; you have
> made me consider seriously for the first time that if it's impossible to persuade the
> responsible WGs to fix the problems, then it may be better to ask W3C to
> withdraw the XPath 1.0 spec and deprecate its use in favor of the XDM 2.0 and
> 3.0 specs, which do a better job and which the responsible WGs are more
> willing to maintain.

  That would be a very serious mistake in my book. A lot of
implementations, tools and software is based in XPath 1.0 (including
my own code and a lot of software using it) and marking it as deprecated
or withdrawn will let that code base without a reference. I would
actually call this completely unreasonnable, and for absolutely no
good reason, and would in no way improve the situation.

Daniel