RE: "Axis Steps" and "Location Steps"

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 00:57:38 +0100
To: "'AndrewWatt2000@aol.com'" <AndrewWatt2000@aol.com>, www-xpath-comments@w3.org
> Can someone explain to me the rationale of replacing the term
> "Location Step"
> (XPath 1.0 Chapter 2.1) with the term "Axis Step" (XPath 2.0
> WD Chapter
> 2.3.1) please?

In XPath 1.0, all steps in a path expression used axes to navigate from one
node to other nodes. In XPath 2.0, steps have been generalised so they can
use any expression.

So in an XPath 1.0 location path, only one kind of step was allowed, and it
was reasonable to call it a location step. In XPath 2.0, two kinds of step
are allowed, an axis step or a general step.

Mike Kay