RE: Syntactically incorrect IRIs in href attributes

At 2:54 PM -0700 6/9/04, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
>This is a bit tricky, as the useful thing for authors is to flag the
>error as early as possible, but that precludes some implementation
>strategies.  So the WG agreed to add a statement to this effect:
>
>---
>A syntactically invalid IRI <termref def="dt-must">should</termref> be
>reported as a <termref def="dt-error">fatal error</termref>, but some
>implementations may find it impractical to distinguish this case from a
><termref def="dt-resource-error">resource error</termref>.
>---

I don't really mid it being a fatal error. However, I dislike making
this an implementation option. I prefer to lock down the behavior as
much as possible for the sake of interoperability. Could you
elaborate on the implementation strategies requiring this to be a
fatal error would preclude? They're not obvious to me.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu