Re: Hidden errors

From: Oleg Tkachenko <oleg@tkachenko.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:01:51 +0200
To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
CC: www-xml-xinclude-comments@w3.org

Elliotte Harold wrote:

 > I am now hypothesizing that fatal XInclude errors hidden inside
 > unactivated fallbacks are not fatal, and should not be reported. In any
 > case, this is what I am going to implement in XOM 1.0 (and what has been
 > implemented in the last several releases). If anyone disagrees with
 > that, please holler.

Are you talking about unactivated fallbacks like

<xinclude:include href="utf8.xml" parse="text">
   <xinclude:fallback>
     Not activated because the top level element succeeds.
     <xinclude:include href="utf8.xml" parse="nonesuch">
   </xinclude:fallback>
</xinclude:include>

or descendants of child elements like

<xinclude:include href="utf8.xml" parse="text">
     Never processed
     <xinclude:include href="utf8.xml" parse="nonesuch">
</xinclude:include>

? The cited paragraph seems to cover the latter case, but not the former
one. I believe the former one still should be reported as a fatal error.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
http://blog.tkachenko.com