Re: [tagsoup-friends] getElementById

John Cowan wrote:

> That's definitely not the case: TagSoup reports id attributes on all
> elements as being of type ID.  So the problem is downstream of TagSoup,
> and I don't know where.  My guess would be that the implementation of
> identity transforms does not preserve the IDness of @id.

I recently discovered that almost everything to do with IDs is broken by
design in DOM2. (Why does that not surprise me?) The practical impact is
that it is impossible to implement a fully-conformant XInclude processor
  in pure DOM2. You have to use implementation-dependent methods or
leave out support for XPointers that depend on ID-type attributes.