Re: xml.xsd referred to by XMLSchema.xsd has been moved

On Apr 11, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Frank Meisschaert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The file http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd imports the xml.xsd schema with
>
> <xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace" schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd">
>
> However the xml.xsd has been moved to http://www.w3.org/2001/03/xml.xsd

The first address is working for me.  W3C makes it a practice
not to change the URIs of published documents, partly to
avoid precisely the kind of problem that arises when URIs do
change.  See "Cool URIs don't change"
(http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html) for more on the
background to this policy.

> Tools like xmllint which import the url directly fail on this.

Fortunately, xmllint does come with support for catalogs
built in, so you ought to be able to make it read a local
copy of the schema document for the XML namespace (and
indeed of the XSD schema for XSD schema documents)
instead of the one served (very slowly nowadays) by w3.org.
I see that Liam Quin has already recommended this.

The W3C systems blog post at
http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic/
explains why the W3C server imposes rate limitations on requests
for schema documents.

I hope this helps.

* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib