Re: Question on XSD 1.1 cyclic <override>

Thanks, Michael.

I think it is not true that O1=O1' and O2=O2', but the result is
basically the same:

(1) schema(D1) = builtins + immed(D1) + schema(override(O1,D2))

override(O1,D2) will have an override child, O2', which will be:
<override schemaLocation="a.xsd">
   <element name="elementA" type="string"/>
   <element name="elementB" type="string"/>
</override>

Expanding the last term:
(2) schema(D1) = builtins + immed(D1) +
   builtins + immed(override(O1,D2)) + schema(override(O2', D1)

override(O2',D1) will have an override element O1' which will be:
<override schemaLocation="b.xsd">
   <element name="elementA" type="string"/>
   <element name="elementB" type="string"/>
</override>

Expanding the last term:
(3) schema(D1) = builtins + immed(D1) +
   builtins + immed(override(O1,D2) +
   builtins + immed(override(O2',D1) + schema(override(O1',D2))

Simplify a bit:
(4)  schema(D1) = builtins + immed(D1) +
   immed(override(O1,D2) +
   immed(override(O2',D1) + schema(override(O1',D2))

override(O1',D2) will have an override element equivalent to O2'.
Expanding the last term,
(5) schema(D1) = builtins + immed(D1) +
   immed(override(O1,D2) +
   immed(override(O2',D1) +
   builtins + immed(override(O1',D2)) + schema(override(O2',D1)

We have added in the last term before; it is safe to drop it now.  Doing
that and simplifying gives:
(6) schema(D1) = builtins + immed(D1) +
   immed(override(O1,D2) +
   immed(override(O2',D1) +
   immed(override(O1',D2))

If immed(D1) = immed(override(O2',D1)) AND immed(override(O1,D2) =
immed(override(O1',D2)), all is well.  If not, we have conflicting
declarations.  The first conjunct is false (the second is true).

Where the spec talks about target sets, it addresses the situation of a
document D containing an override element E such that D is in E's target
set.  Such a case is okay if
[1] override(E, D) = D.  In the above example, [1] is met for all such D
and E (while it is true that  D1 != override(O2',D1), it is also true
that O2' is not contained by D1).  Thus, it seems to me that [1] is not
a sufficient condition.  It was met, but still there was a conflict.

Actually, I think [1] may also not be a necessary condition for avoiding
conflicts.  You may have a schema document D that contains two override
elements, E1 and E2, such that D is in the target set of E1, or E2, or
both, and D != override(E1,D) and D != override(E2,D) and where the
differences lie entirely in the transformed override elements, which
doesn't necessarily cause conflicting declarations.

To be a little more general, suppose you have a cycle of overrides
D1->D2->..->Dn->D1, and you are going to find schema(D1).  Suppose there
are some i, j such that:
- i < j
- Dj has an override for element E
- there are no overrides for element E in D1..Di
- E is declared in Di
Then, I think, there is going to be a conflicting declaration for E in
schema(D1).  However, I suspect it could at the same time be true that
schema(Dj) would not have any such conflicts.  It seems that whether
such a conflict arises depends not only the whole cycle, but also on
where you begin in the cycle (ie, for which Dk you are finding
schema(Dk)), and thus that the determination for conflicts is rather
more complicated than what the spec would lead us to believe.

--Kevin