Re: question about lexical and value spaces

From: Dave Peterson <davep@iit.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 17:01:34 -0500
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org, mike@saxonica.com

At 11:41 AM -0500 2008-01-09, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>Hmm.  I hadn't thought of that issue.
>
>The kind of datatype that I was interested in was a datatype with
>uncountably many values, e.g., reals.  In XML Schema 1.0 one could not
>have such a datatype, but it appears to my reading that they would be
>allowed in XML Schema 1.1, and I was checking whether this was actually
>the case.

That you probably won't be able to do; right now there is no capability
for anyone other than W3C to add new primitive datatypes.  It's always
possible that a capability to accept implementation-defined datatypes
may be provided, but none has been proposed and accepted.  Until/unless
such a proposal is accepted by the WG, I believe a processor providing
such a datatype would not be XSDL-compliant.

I'm curious as to how you would implement such a datatype, and how you
would identify or share values that have no lexical representation.  It
sounds nice in theory, but also sounds unimplementable.  I presume storing
approximations is not adequate; decimal already does that, to any degree
of approximation that you wish.
--
Dave Peterson

davep@iit.edu