RE: Representation of floating point values.

At 12:56 PM -0800 050308, Daniel Engovatov wrote:
>It seems to me (I am not speaking on the behalf of the XQuery WG) that
>only allowing mapping it to Infinity may be not sufficient.

>Is there a way to phrase the Schema in a way as to allow the "hosting"
>application to choose how to deal with overflow/underflow?

Not really.  Schema is committed to consistent validation across apps.
Best we could do would be an incompatible change that removed all these
character strings from the lexical space, which would consistently make
their use an error.  Doesn't sound useful enough to force the backward
incompatability with 1.0.

(This is much like the situation with comparing dateTime values, one with
a timezone and one without.  I believe Query/F&O chooses to allow an
app-dependent default timezone to use, which gives app-dependent results.
Since we don't want app-dependent validation, we choose--in 1.1 at least
--to make such comparisons "incomparable"--neither less-than, greater-
than, nor equal--when different "default" timezones would give different
results.)
--
Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!