[Fwd: RE: Can multiple inline schemas have same targetNamespace?]

From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:10:38 -0400
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Cc: cmsmcq@w3.org
Can the XML Schema WG shed some light on this?   It seems clear that if
both inline schema declarations for targetnamespace "a" below were to
define the same type X differently then it would be an error.   But what
if they both defined the same type X exactly the same?  Would the XML
Schema spec consider this to be an error or not?  Or is it
implementation dependent?

I can envision two viewpoints, and I don't know which of these is
correct:

View 1: It's an error, because you've declared two different components
with the same name (even though the definitions happen to be the same).

View 2: It's not an error, because both declarations are declaring the
exact same component.  XML Schema deals with a *set* of components --
not a bag.  Declaring once that a component is in the set is
mathematically the same as declaring it twice or more.

Can the XML Schema WG provide some guidance or advice on this?

--

David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard

attached mail follows:

Jeehong:

As long as there is no overlap between the component definitions in
multiple schema containers for the same namespace, I think this should
work just fine.  If there is overlap, we simply need to follow what the
schema spec says about how to resolve repeated components in a schema
(I'm not sure, though, if that's fault, first-one-wins, or
last-one-wins...).

--Glen