XML schema draft comments: minLength on list?

From: Daniel Barclay <daniel@fgm.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:24:38 -0400
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Regarding the draft at

Section says:

   When {variety} is ·list·, if ·length· or both of ·minLength· and
   ·maxLength· are among {facets}, then {value} is finite; else {value}
   is countably infinite.

Is a minimum length restriction is really required?

(I don't remember enough set theory to figure out why a minimum
length would be required. (If the set of exactly-length-N lists
is finite, wouldn't the set {length-1 lists, length-2 lists, ...,
length-N-1 lists, length-N lists} not be finite?)

I wonder if the pattern of having both upper and lower bounds
(min...clusive and max..clusive cases) accidently got copied to
the list case without dropping the possibly unnecessary lower