XML schema draft comments: 4.2.4.1 minLength on list?

From: Daniel Barclay <daniel@fgm.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:24:38 -0400
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Regarding the draft at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-2-20040318/:

Section 4.2.4.1 says:

   When {variety} is ·list·, if ·length· or both of ·minLength· and
   ·maxLength· are among {facets}, then {value} is finite; else {value}
   is countably infinite.

Is a minimum length restriction is really required?

(I don't remember enough set theory to figure out why a minimum
length would be required. (If the set of exactly-length-N lists
is finite, wouldn't the set {length-1 lists, length-2 lists, ...,
length-N-1 lists, length-N lists} not be finite?)

I wonder if the pattern of having both upper and lower bounds
(min...clusive and max..clusive cases) accidently got copied to
the list case without dropping the possibly unnecessary lower
bound.

Daniel

Daniel