Re: Clarify merge/union of facets

Xan Gregg <xan.gregg@jmp.com> writes:

> Definition of {facets} in 4.1.2.1 Derivation by restriction:
>
>    {facets}  The union of the set of Facets (§2.4) components
>          resolved to by the facet [children] merged with {facets}
>          from {base type definition}, subject to the Facet
>          Restriction Valid constraints specified in Facets (§2.4).
>
> What is being "unioned" and how does "merge" work?  For example, if
> the base has a minLength facet with value 5 and the derived type has a
> minLength child facet of value 7, how many minLength facets are in the
> derived type's facets property?

The (also normative) Schema Component Constraint: Simple Type
Restriction (Facets) in Part 1 [1] has clearer words, but the two
parts of the REC should be better synced, no question.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-1-20040318/structures.html#st-restrict-facets
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk