XML Schema 1.1

From: Miller, Robert (GXS) <Robert.Miller@gxs.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:45:02 -0600
To: W3C XML Schema Comments list <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Gentle People,

Here is some food for thought ...

In traditional EDI, 'detail' areas sometimes omit information previously
provided within a 'header' area.  For example, a default 'currency' may be
provided in the header, and is to be used unless overridden in a specific
detail instance.

In our work to develop an XML syntax for transmiting EDI data, we have
defined 'semantic units' of information.  One such example is an 'amount'
which must include a 'currency' to have semantic usefullness.  To represent
an 'amount', we define an XML element of type amount, having a numeric
value, and having a 'currency' attribute.  If the currency were always
fixed or generally highly variable within a message, the existing XML
capability would suffice.  But it is not.

Perhaps what we are looking for is a means to specify a default locator,
and of course, the logic to support its traversal and attribute value
substitution.  And perhaps this might be accomplished by extending the
fixed/default option to fixed/default/defaultfrom.

Cheers,
               Bob Miller
               eBusiness Consultant to:
               Global eXchange Services