complex/simple tyeps

From: by way of <Max.Jacob@ircam.fr>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:27:19 -0700
To: W3C XML Schema Comments list <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>

When I have a type or element declaration I'm still not able to build an
xpath to the base type declaration, because I don't know if it's a complex
or a simple type.

As a use case:
We are implementing a Mpeg7 database and use the XMLSchema as native
language to define multimedia descriptors (as specified in Mpeg7). So we
have a very large schema on the database server and the client askes for
type, element etc. declarations on user demand. We wanted to use standard
XPath for this and still think this would be the most appropriate way to do
it, but it does not work for the reason explained above.

Max.