RE: set date using pattern

From: Biron,Paul V <Paul.V.Biron@kp.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 12:51:15 -0800
To: "'ching'" <yu_ching@cht.com.tw>, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

The only way to do that would be to define your own datatype (by restricting
xsd:string, for instance) and using the pattern facet, e.g.,

<xsd:simpleType name='myDate'>
	<xsd:restriction base='xsd:string'>
		<xsd:pattern value='\d{8,}'/>
	</xsd:restriction>
</xsd:simpleType>

However, this new datatype would not be in any way related to the xsd:date
datatype.

pvb

p.s. pattern above allows for arbitrarily large dates (i.e., not limited to
4digit century/year combinations) as does xsd:date...however, it also allows
"20020229" which xsd:date doesn't.  I'm told that it is possible to write a
regex that matches only legal gregorian dates (i.e., gets all the variable
days in a month and leap year stuff right) but I wouldn't want to try to
write it.