Re: Non-deterministic or wrong partition?

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:46:50 -0400
To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson)
Cc: "Ashok Malhotra" <ashokma@microsoft.com>, "XML Schema Comments" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>

I agee with Henry:  we should proceed carefully before making changes in
this area.  The current state of the Rec is clear, and these are more than
clarifications.  I certainly have been aware of the fact that the REC
works this way, and indeed have wrestled with writing implementations that
deal with the allowed "ambiguities".

I wouldn't necessarily be against making the changes you suggest, Ashok.
It would in certain respects make implementations simpler.  I do think it
is a significant and clear incompatibility with the current Rec, and I
think we need to look carefully for useful content models that might be
ruled out  I do not think this fits as a clarification or erratum.  Thank
you.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142