FW: spaces in value fields

From: Penick, Thomas <tpenick@vignette.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:40:01 -0500
To: "'www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org'" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "Miller, Scott" <smiller@vignette.com>
We've encountered a problem that we believe is due to our XML files having
spaces in the value fields.  Example:
as opposed to:
<doubleValue>   1.0   </doubleValue>
<dateValue> 2000-03-31T13:20:00.000Z </dateValue>
The parser throws an exception because it thinks the data is invalid.  For
the above example it would think the data was actually:
 for the doubleValue
for the date value
Note that it dropped the first character and added one to the end.  This is
We have verified that we can parse data that previously caused an exception
by restarting the parse.  It just seems that after time the spaces
eventually cause an exception.
We are using Apache Xerces 1.4.3 on Win2k.
Are spaces valid in value fields?
Vignette is the leading provider of integrated content applications used by
the most successful organizations to interact online with their customers,
employees, and partners.