Re: ECMAScript and XML Schemas -- parallels?

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:06:25 -0500
To: "Alexander J. Vincent" <jscript@pacbell.net>
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Alexander Vincent writes:

>> However, many of the data types we see in XML Schemas
>> appear (to me at least) to correspond to many of the basic
>> object definitions in ECMAScript, 3rd edition ( ).
>> Nonetheless, the correlations between the data types both
>> provide, at least on the surface to this novice, is astounding.
>> Both provide rules for regular expressions, dates, and numbers...

Well, one answer is that it was a goal [1] that we provide datatypes
suitable for integrating XML with commonly used programming languages,
applications and databases.   JavaScript/ECMAScript is surely one of those
languages.  If you are implying that we have succeeded astoundingly well,
then on behalf of the workgroup, I thank you!

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/NOTE-xml-schema-req-19990215#Purpose

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142