Re: XML schema DTD not well formed?

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:45:29 -0500
To: Liam Quin <liam@holoweb.net>
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org, www-xml-schema-comments-request@w3.org
Liam Quin writes:

>> I did, however, just have to find a way to explain
>> that the type of an element is not the same as
>> its element type.

For what it's worth, and I strongly suspect that you have already noticed
this, the potential for such confusion is one of the reasons that the XML
Schema drafts do not use the term "Element Type".

"Element type" is an XML 1.0 term that applies to the definition for an
element as established in a DTD.  The approximately equivalent
construction in an XML Schema is an "Element Declaration", which does
indeed associate the element name with a simple or complex "Type" (but not
_Element_ type.).  We made a point of not reusing the term "element type"
except when we refer to the existing XML 1.0 concept.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142