SimpleContent question

From: Jeff Lowery <jlowery@scenicsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:53:29 -0800
To: "'www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org'" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Hi,

Sorry this comment is late, but I just caught this a week ago. It's most
likely been pointed out already by someone else:

The spec states that simpleContent can restrict an existing simple type, but
within the context of defining a complex type I can't see how it would be
used. Since a simple type can't have an attribute, and a complex type with
simple content would be expected to have at least one, how can restricting a
simple type be of any use in that case? One would just use an anonymous
simple type and restrict that.

To summarize, I can't think of a case where you can have a restrict clause
in a simpleContent tag within the context of a complexType definition. Maybe
you could enlighten me?