"fixed" property of "length" facet

From: Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI <k-kawa@bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 18:02:42 -0800
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

I wonder what "fixed" property of "length" facet exactly means.

In other words, what "foo" in the following example accepts?

<restriction name="length6string" baseType="string">
    <length value="6" />

<restriction name="foo" baseType="length6string">
    <length value="8" />

Since the spec says,

(section 5.1.1)
> One datatype can be derived from another datatype by restricting its
> value space and, consequently, its lexical space.

I suppose "foo" accepts nothing.

If so, why do we need "fixed" for "length"? Isn't it always fixed?

If "foo" accepts "12345678", why can we say "derivation by restriction"?
As a matter of fact, type is  not restricted; it only be changed.

In either case, I hope spec should clarify these problems.

Same problem happens in "whiteSpace" facet.

I really appreciate if someone also give an answer to this unanswered

E-Mail: k-kawa@bigfoot.com