total order of float

From: K.Kawaguchi <k-kawa@bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:54:14 -0800
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Hello, again.

I found the spec confusing about the order relation of "float" datatype.

(From section 3.2.3)
> of float also contains the following special values: positive and
> negative zero, positive negative infinity and not-a-number. The
> order-relation on float is: x < y iff y - x is positive.

The order-relation is not given for these special values. Especially,

+0.0 > -0.0?   or  +0.0 == -0.0?

And there is no obvious relation between NaN and other float values. So
I think we need a clear statement about order-relation of those special
values.

Without those relations, float is not a totally-ordered type, isn't it.

regards,
K.Kawaguchi
E-Mail: k-kawa@bigfoot.com