semantics of whitespace facet

From: K.Kawaguchi <k-kawa@bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:00:47 -0800
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

I read the previous post to this list.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/2000OctDec/0333.html

And this is the follow-up question.

I understand that whiteSpace facet specifies "pre-processing" of lexical
values, and therefore by no means "constraining facet". Is this correct?

If this is correct, when this pre-processing should be done? Should it
be done before validating all other facets?

I couldn't find any statement regarding this.

For example,

<simpleType>
  <restriction base='string'>
    <enumeration value='foo'/>
    <whiteSpace value='colapse' />
  </restriction>
</simpleType>

Does this type matches lexical value "  foo  "?

Or

<simpleType>
  <restriction base='string'>
    <length value='3' />
    <whiteSpace value='colapse' />
  </restriction>
</simpleType>

Does this type matches lexical value "     x     y      "?

regards,
K.Kawaguchi
E-Mail: k-kawa@bigfoot.com