Re: Converting REC-xmlschema-1-20010502 to PDF

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 04 May 2001 09:02:02 +0100
To: Ron Jacobs <rjacobs@gforce.com>
Cc: "'www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org'" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Ron Jacobs <rjacobs@gforce.com> writes:

> For some time now I have been using Adobe Acrobat to download W3C documents
> for easy offline reading.
>
> What is going on in the HTML for REC-xmlschema-1-20010502
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1> that causes Acrobat 4.0.5 to scale this
> document so poorly? The lines are about 22 inches wide if I turn off scaling
> and the text is far too small if I enable scaling.

I will have a look at this in due course.  We worked _very_ hard to
get the document looking good in reasonably CSS-conformant browsers,
then even _harder_ to make it work with [unprintable libellous opinion
removed] Netscape-4.7, and I'm afraid trying to add another rendering
engine to the mix was quite impossible.  I expect the problem may have
something to do with wide blocks in the printable HTML, but since
there are no standards/guidelines for this sort of thing, I'm unlikely
to figure it out.

All volunteer efforts to locate/suggest fixes for the problem(s) here
are welcome.