Re: Objection to hexBinary and base64Binary

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 26 Apr 2001 08:39:50 +0100
To: Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com
Cc: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@acm.org>, cbf@isovia.com, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com writes:

> Also, and I confess I don't have the time right now to verify that
> you are correct, is it indeed true that xsi:type can override the
> normal precedence in a union?  I had presumed that, apparently
> incorrectly, the value space of the union {integer, string} included
> the abstract integer values, and all strings except those such as
> "123" that correspond to legal lexical forms of integer.  You are
> implying that:
>
>         <E xsi:type="xsd:string">123</E>
>
> is accepted and results in the value "123" being in the value space of the
> union.  Is this really true?

Yes, otherwise the xsi:type would never have any effect (except to
cause an error in e.g. the above example).

Here's the relevant prose:

  "[Definition:] Union datatypes are those whose ·value space·s and
  ·lexical space·s are the union of the ·value space·s and ·lexical
  space·s of one or more other datatypes."