From: Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com [mailto:Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 10:04 AM
To: Charles Frankston
Cc: cmsmcq@acm.org; www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Subject: RE: Objection to hexBinary and base64Binary

Charles Frankston writes:

>> I cannot think of a requirement that is advanced
>> by allowing multiple lexical representations for a
>> single datatype.

Regardless of the pros and cons of the binary types, the case that we
(or
I anyway) found most compelling is:

        100.0 == 1.0E2 == 0.1E3

for float.  Requiring exponential notation would seem to be the only
consistent single lexical representation, and I don't think users prefer

that restriction.  That decision on float lets the cat out of the bag:
having a single lexical rep. is not an invariant of the design.  We then

allowed in leading zeros, etc. as a reasonable convenience given that
multiple reps are allowed in general.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142