Re: [x3d-contributors] Arrays in XML Schema - Last Call Issue LC-84 - Schema WG response

From: Don Brutzman <brutzman@nps.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 08:54:20 -0700
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
CC: Frank Olken <olken@lbl.gov>, Joe D Willliams <JOEDWIL@earthlink.net>, Robert Miller <Robert.Miller@gxs.ge.com>, Jane Hunter <jane@dstc.edu.au>, X3D Contributors <x3d-contributors@web3d.org>, mpeg7-ddl <mpeg7-ddl@darmstadt.gmd.de>, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org, w3c-xml-schema-ig@w3.org, fallside@us.ibm.com
Thank you for the informative reply Henry.

Arrays don't seem like a special case since they are fairly ubiquitous.
Zooming in further, the difference of opinion might be captured by a word:

> complex structures are best addressed by markup
                         ^^^^
There are sufficient pros/cons/tradeoffs that "best" might be overstrong.

I hope that some of my other comments such as explicitly identifying
difference in expressive power between attributes and tags get considered
in due course.  We will continue looking at regular expressions as a way
to gain full constraint checking on VRML base types.  The X3D group will
also be happy to contribute to a future Note as you mentioned.  Again thanks.

all the best, Don
--
Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code UW/Br Root 200  work 831.656.2149
              Monterey California 93943-5000 USA              fax  831.656.3679