Re: XML Schema working with DTDs?

"Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org> writes:

> I used to both schema and DTD validate, but I didn't realize these things
> had moved. I'll try using these URLs and see if it still works. However,
> this policy of locating the schema and DTD at the namespace is pretty
> confusing. I appreciate you don't want to change the namespace every time
> you issue a new draft and I hope you would try every time you made a
> substantive change, because now the result is that even if I write my XML
> instance that (today) validates under [1,2] next time you pout out a new
> draft it won't! Before, not updating your namespace violated a philosphical
> point (but the actual dtd and schema were in a more specific (month) date
> space). Now you are violating a more practical point, if I have an example
> that works now based on something in date space it won't in the future. (I
> think, right?)
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema.dtd
> [2] http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema.xsd

Well, it's a difficult point.  I'd say we don't _have_ a namespace
yet, we're just working towards having one, and using the same name so
people will get used to it as the XML Schema namespace.

I appreciate your point about things going stale -- if we ever make a
backwards incompatible change, we'll put the old schema and dtd
somewhere in date space and you can use them for your stale documents.

We're in new territory here (never before has there been a definitive
and operational anything _at_ a namespace URI before), Dan and I have
been making policy by the seat of our pants, by all means lets keep
discussing this, but move the archiving to the public comments list
(see addresses above).

ht