Re: 3.4/3.13: should there be a Simply Type Definition of the Ur-Type ?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 28 Apr 2000 10:36:39 +0100
To: James Tauber <JTauber@bowstreet.com>
Cc: "'www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org'" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
James Tauber <JTauber@bowstreet.com> writes:

> I thought there used to be a Simple Type Definition of the Ur-Type? Should
> there be one in 3.13 parallel to the one for Complex Types in 3.4? Or am I
> missing something?

This is a tricky issue.  The ur-type is neither simple nor complex.
What's given in 3.4 is what it looks like as the base of a complex
type definition.  There's no way to show what it looks like as the
base of a simple type definition, or rather, that would simply be a
simple type definition with no values for any of the properties, which
would not be terribly helpful.

I agree the prose explaining all this is less than satisfactory.