Re: Counter-proposal for XML Schema: XML Notation Schemas

From: MURATA Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:52:17 +0900
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Cc: ricko@gate.sinica.edu.tw, murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp
In his note entitled "XML Notation Schemas", Rick pointed out
"two severely broken non-conformances", namely:

- supporting non-well-formed XML 1.0;
- treating namespace URIs as schema names.

I believe that Rick is right.

One of the ideas he suggested is the use of XSL patterns for describing schemata.

>Using XSL as a Structure Validation Language, which characterizes document
>validation as as stylesheet issue and points out that XSL's pattern language
>allows validation on very different criteria to SGML's content model approach;

If we allow non-terminals in the schema language, we can construct a schema
from an XSL pattern (probably, with some restriction).  A document is valid
against this constructed schema if and only if some element in this document
matches the given pattern.

Formally speaking, a pattern can be captured by a pair of tree regular
expression (conditions on subordinates) and pointed tree regular expression
(conditions on non-subordinates such as superiors, siblings, etc).  Kleene's
theorem ensures the construction of a tree regular grammar from a tree regular
expression.  My work (PODP'96) allows for the construction of unambiguous
non-determinstic tree automaton from a pointed tree regular expression.
We then remove matching states from this unambiguous automaton.  By applying,
subset construction and negation, we can construct a tree regular grammar
that mimicks the pointed tree regular expression.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp